lørdag, oktober 08, 2005

Positiv ateisme

Brent Rasmussen på Unscrewing The Inscrutable er kommet til fornuft: Han er blevet "troende".
Her er hans bekendelse:

"What the heck is this "God" thing that religious folks keep going on about? They speak as if I should know what they are talking about.
Well, I don't.
Can someone, anyone, define this "God"? Describe it? What are it's characteristics? What is it? Why is it necessary? And how, exactly, do they know these things about this God? Why is your definition any better than the next person's?
I contend that the word "God" is literally incomprehensible. Each person who uses the word assigns a different meaning to it, and none of them match. The word "God" isn't like the word "rock". You can't point to a god and say, "There it is. Pick it up. Feel it, sense it, measure it. It's real." It seems to be a catch-all answer that is complete nonsense. Why is there air? God. Why do the birds sing? God. What happens after we die? God. It's a null-hypothesis. It answers no questions, simply pushes them farther away. It is a placebo. It is self-deception. It is bad for us. It stops us from thinking. If God is the answer, then why look for other answers?
I talk a lot about atheism on this blog. My own, and the definition of the word itself. I have forcefully argued in the past that atheism is merely a description. That it is not a "worldview", does not denote any particular belief or politics, and that it cannot be a "religion" unless you stretch the definitions of both the words "atheism" and "religion" all out of shape to the point where they become meaningless. I still believe this.
But recently I have begun to swing away from my weak-atheist position into the realm of positive belief. I know, I know. Weird, huh? I now claim the positive belief that there is no god. Or "God", or "gods", or "godlets", or "goddesses", etc. Period. The very idea is ridiculous. None of the words have any real meaning at all. They are semantically null carrying zero content. No information is conveyed by saying the words, only confusion. This is not to say that I am closed-minded to the very idea of a deity of some sort, just that the absence of evidence is the evidence of absence (to steal a phrase from the late Dr. Sagan.) I cannot in good conscience hold to my weak-atheist position in light of this lack of evidence.
Now, before all of my theistically-inclined readers freak right the hell out and start listing their own personal opinions about the nature and attributes of their gods, let me say this; If you can give me a good, clear, cogent, and concise definition of your god-thing and point me at some real evidence that supports your definition, then I will consider your evidence critically, objectively and make a belief decision about your particular god. I am nothing if not fair. Heh. If there is good, credible, incontrovertible evidence to support your own flavor of deity, I will become a theist.
As you can probably imagine, I am not holding my breath."

Jeg er selvfølgelig fuldstændig enig og kunne ikke have skrevet det enklere, klarere og bedre selv.